[logs] Re: Data mining

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas@private)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 00:39:29 PDT

On 19/06/06 16:19 -0400, Desai, Ashish wrote:

> Hi Devdas,
> 	I know this is completely off the topic, but have you considered
> having someone like Postini to handle first level inbound email. You
> basically change your MX to them and restrict your inbound SMTP
> connections to their server.

Hmmm? Let me put it this way, my employer would probably offer filtering
services to Postini rather than buying from them [1]. I am looking for
ideas to analyse logs in order to improve our blocking system (90%
blocked at the edge before data, and we need to block 90% of the rest).

> We used to run PerlMX engine/filter from Activestate but finally moved
> to Postini as they had a nice self user managed quarantine system.
> This turns out to be cheaper to deal with than dealing with
> the headache of managing the feedback loop.

I handle the feedback loops. Those are trivial.

Devdas Bhagat
[1] We handle far more mail than Postini and Messagelabs combined.
Postini would not make a noticable dent in our mailflow.