[logs] Re: Few questions on log analysis

From: bytesman (bytesman@private)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 01:46:26 PDT

Kai,

Well welcome. I would say to start off I would start looking at splunk and
splunkbase. This might help you get started on some issues. But as you have
seen there isn't really all too much written out their that makes alot of
sense. I guess most people are still trying to figure some fundamental stuff
out. Questions like:

- What am I looking for. And how do I see stuff I am not looking for but
know that are interesting.
- Once I've got this how do I make this process that is manual an automated
one.
- Are the devices delivering the logs really auditing enough and where do I
put all the data.

it goes on and on. I have worked on quite a few Security Event Monitoring
projects and have found that each question is answered differently per
client.

So google up splunk and splunk base and take it from there.

Bytesman

--
---
bytesman