[logs] Re: Few questions on log analysis

From: Daniel Cid (danielcid@private)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 07:49:06 PDT

Hi Kai,

--- Kai Michael Hoever <kai@private> escreveu:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently writing my degree dissertation on
> logfile analysis. I
> was glad to find this list discussing this issue by
> professionals.
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to find much useful
> information about
> logfile analysis itself, neither in the internet nor
> in books or
> scientific papers. The books I found (e.g. Babbin et
> al: Security Log
> Management) weren't very useful. Thus I contacting
> you to get some
> answers:
> Do you know any book, paper, link etc. where attack
> signatures in log
> files are described?

In the ossec web site we have some examples of attack
signatures found in log files. It is not very
complete,
but with have examples of sucessful and failed
attempts
for multiple applications (from ftpd, sshd, etc),
examples of web attacks, traces of vulnerability
scans,
etc.

http://www.ossec.net/wiki/index.php/Log_Samples

You can also look at the ossec signatures for examples
of patterns and how we classify them (in categories
and
by severity):

http://www.ossec.net/rules/

> Do you know any resource where log-entries are
> described and/or
> classified?
> Which books, papers etc. can you recommend about
> logfile analysis?

I wrote some time ago a paper about *"log analysis for
intrusion detection", that can help:

http://www.ossec.net/en/loganalysis.html

*Note, that I am updating it with more ideas,
including mail log analysis, ids+firewall logs
correlation, etc.

Hope it helps.

--
Daniel B. Cid