[logs] Re: [Fwd: Tripwire Product Update - DST Is Changing]

From: Mikhail Fimin (Mikhail.Fimin@private)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 01:15:13 PST

We noticed at least one issue already - time conversion algorithms
change and log processing applications require changes. When you report
on log records occurred in 2006 and before, and need to perform time
conversion using old time zone settings, but new records will require
new conversion.

Provided that OS is updated with a DST patch, applications which use
time conversion functions built in into operating system will continue
to work properly - otherwise they will most likely require updates too.

For example, Microsoft Windows provides 2 time conversion functions,
SystemTimeToTzSpecificLocalTime and TzSpecificLocalTimeToSystemTime,
which perform conversion from GMT to local time and vice versa. But
second function was introduced only in Windows XP and newer OSes and
applications which support systems prior to WXP (e.g. W2K) emulate its
behavior. Guess what happens to them? Right, such implementations
require updates. We tested DST update from Microsoft, and it looks like
Win32 structure, TIME_ZONE_INFORMATION, suffered changes, which broke
our custom implementation and forced us to release updates. The same
thing will most likely apply to many other applications, running on
different OSes.

I encourage everybody to test applications prior to DST switch, to avoid
further corruptions of archived log data.

With best regards,
Michael Fimin.