[logs] Re: Reviewing Vista/2k3 log files from the same platform

From: Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] (sbradcpa@private)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 11:07:18 PST

That's still not quite my point....and granted, perhaps I wasn't
supposed to be able to do what I was doing...but nonetheless I did it.
.... pre Vista for basic admin "what's nailing my server" I can/do look
at the 2k3 security log file in a XP event viewer.   If Vista is my
desktop of choice (and it's not ....quite yet...) while the events for
"success" from a 2k3 box are readable, the "failures" are not.  That
surprised me is all.

Because the event logs (which don't get me wrong I LOVE the new stuff)
have the new XML values I was just surprised that my quick and dirty log
view that shouldn't have worked before....but more often than not did...
now really doesn't.

--
Letting your vendors set your risk analysis these days?
http://www.threatcode.com

If you are a SBSer and you don't subscribe to the SBS Blog... man ... I will hunt you down...
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs