Re: [owl-users] Owl and Intel 64 bit Xeon

From: Andreas Ericsson (ae@private)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 01:25:19 PST

Randy Greif wrote:
> I am trying to install Owl 2.0 now I have tried 1 & 1.1 etc. but it seems
> like everything I do I cannot fdisk the hard drives.
> let me start I have a Compaq DL380 PIII 700 Xeon 128mb RAM for now, two 18.2
> GB HDD on a compaq integrated smart array looks like version 1.68

You'll most likely have to build support for this as a module in a
RAMdisk on the CD.

> I have tried it set up Raid 0, Raid 1, all the different configurations. I
> have updated the BIOS, the Smart start for Compaq, and followed everything
> Compaq
> said to install linux,and tried other OS's also trying to get one that will
> accept Owl. Now I am getting an error on boot up (nothing installed except
> compaqs controller software)
> the error
> "<0>Kernal Panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!"

This messages comes from kernel/exit.c if a kill-request originating
within the kernel is sent to pid 0. In essence, this should never happen
(hence the panic).

Is the CPU overclocked? Is it an SMP system? I think Xeon is a dual-core
CPU, but I'm not sure if Xeon's are available as Pentium 3.

> "In idle task - not syncing"
> then it just sets there.

Naturally it just sits there. A kernel panic is somewhat akin to a
normal program crashing. Something unexpected and illegal has happened
and there are no sane options left to try.

> other times I got it to boot from the CD then it won't do anything from
> there no fdisk etc.

What output do you get from cfdisk? I'm fairly sure it doesn't say
"I won't do anything" no matter what you try.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@private