Re: [owl-users] Virtual Machines on Owl

From: Bernhard Fischer (bernhard@private)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 22:40:33 PDT

Am Mi 09.05.2007 07:04 schrieb Bernhard Fischer <bernhard@private>:

> > We have good experience of running OpenVZ (http://openvz.org) with
> > Owl
> > as the H/W node OS and Owl inside VPS environment.
> >
> > Quick steps to create a test bed are the following:
> >
> > 1. download ovzkernel, vzctl, vzctl-lib, and vzquota .
> >
> > 2. rpm -Uvh vz* --nodeps # there are some deps which can be safely
> >    ignored.
> >
> > 3. intall ovzkernel (I'm building it from sources, but you might
> > want
> >    use a binary package)
>
> In my knowledge OpenVZ, with it's "single-kernle implementation", is
> running the same kernel as the guest and i do not see any 2.4.x
> versions
> of OpenVZ.
> How did you got it up and running with an 2.4.x Owl-kernel?

I already found an answer in a formerly posting form you!

Although Owl currently supports only 2.4 it isn't hard to rebuild it
against 2.6 headers -- at least me (from Openwall team) is doing these
builds for our current branch. However, it's known to work under OpenVZ
even without the recompilation process.