Re: [owl-users] GCC 4.6.1

From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon_at_private>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:28:40 +0400
Hi Igmar,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 14:10 +0200, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've packaged GCC 4.6.1 on OpenWall 3.0-stable from 2011/09/09 to an RPM. It seems to work, but attempts to compile the kernel have failed due to (known) issues.

We're working on gcc 4.6.1 in Owl-current.  Some packages are fixed to
be buildable under gcc 4.6.1, but not all of them.  Current list of
broken packages is as following:

kernel
glibc
libtool
perl

If you have patched for them - please share.

> A libc / binutils upgrade doesn't seem to be needed at first sight, I'll see if I can recompile all sources.

IIRC, we need glib upgrade to enable -fstack-protector, it needs libc
support, which we don't currently have with old version of glibc.

But also we need glibc update before updating other packages/packetizing
new packages as the fixes to the build process of RPM may vary between
old and new glibc.  As we want to minimize future patching, we'll
upgrade glibc first.

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy