Re: [owl-users] Upgrading to current gives dependency problem after kernel upgrade and boot

From: Solar Designer <solar_at_private>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:35:51 +0400
On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:03:42AM +0000, Zenny wrote:
> On 4/3/12, Solar Designer <solar_at_private> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:41:01PM +0000, Zenny wrote:
> >> # rpm -Uvh ~build/RPMS/*.rpm
> >> error: Failed dependencies:
> >> 	perl(Crypt::PasswdMD5) is needed by syslinux-perl-4.04-owl2
> >> 	perl(Digest::SHA1) is needed by syslinux-perl-4.04-owl2
> >
> > You never mentioned where you got those RPMs.  Did you build them
> > yourself or did you download them?  Did you previously install
> > locally-built (by you) Owl RPMs on this system?
>
> I got it from: http://mirrors.kernel.org/openwall/Owl/current/ using
> the standard upgrade without any customization right now. I just
> thought of upgrading first and then make customization.

Thank you for confirming this.  I just took a closer look and it appears
that the problem with syslinux-perl is a bug in Owl-current.  We did not
run into it because the syslinux-perl subpackage is not included in our
installorder.conf.  So please just don't install this subpackage for
now.  If you use "make installworld" instead of the manual "rpm -Uvh
~build/RPMS/*.rpm", that should just work (not trying to install this
problematic subpackage).

Please let us know if you run into any other issues.

Thanks again,

Alexander