Re: [PEN-TEST] POSIX Subsystem on NT

From: Parity (parityat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 17:23:59 PDT

    > 	I was under the impression that the different environmental subsystems
    > could not interact at all -- I know *you* [ as a programmer ] can't make
    > win32 API calls at all from a program that runs under the POSIX or OS/2
    > subsystem...and the same applies for POSIX / OS/2 calls from the win32
    > subsystem.

    It's true that an application cannot be serviced by multiple subsystem
    processes.  csrss.exe, os2.exe, posix.exe -- pick just one.

    I'm not 100% on this, but I think I read in "Inside Windows 2000" that rather
    than solve the same basic set of problems completely within each subsystem,
    they invested most of their effort in the Win32 subsystem, and the other
    subsystems are in turn serviced by it.

    > 	While on the subject...anybody have any documentation on how to *write*
    > a subsystem. AFAIK it doesn't exsists...

    You can learn a great deal about the NT native API from the various "NT
    internals" and "undocumented NT" books and websites, but... I wouldn't
    recommend undertaking to do such a thing.  You gain insight by understanding
    unsupported API's, but as MS likes to point out, they're subject to change, so
    you build on them at your own risk.

    pty