[PEN-TEST] Penetration of OWA servers

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Peņa (jfernandezat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 11:41:28 PDT

    I am currently testing an OWA (Outlook Web Access) server, and would like to
    know if people are aware of vulnerabilities for this webmail front-end. After
    reading some literature (thanks to google) I've found that it's a security risk
    on network topologies since it has to access the NT Domain Server in order to
    authenticate users. There are also recommendations to restrict anonymous access
    to the front-end.

    I have been able to succesful exploit the latests vulnerability through access
    /exchange/finduser/details.asp?obj=XXXX. I've also been able to automize this
    access to take a look at all the users (the XXX besides the obj seems to have
    some kind of regularity (a 64-hex number with changes around the last 8 hex).
    It's not as easy as it might look at first (you have to first access the logon
    form and take a cookie for the session).

    The webmail uses a twostep process for authentication. First it asks for mailbox
    name, I figure it's the user's e-mail, and the second seems to be
    NTdomain/user+password...

    Does anyone have experience with OWA penetration? I think it's not much in use
    there...

    	Regards

    	Javi