Re: Application security eval - methodology

From: Gamble (a629wat_private)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 11:54:20 PDT

    > Has anyone published a framework for evaluating the
    > security impact of an application (that is, a "black
    > box", a binary provided by a vendor)?

    While I am not aware of a paper which talks about evaluating the security
    impact of a binary,  there are a few good papers out there which talk
    about reverse engineering Windows binaries looking for common security
    holes (ie: buffer overflows and format string attacks).

    Check out:

    HalVar Flake's presentation at the Blackhat conference called "Finding
    holes in closed-source software" at
    http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-europe-00/bh-europe-00-speakers.html

    and also Dark Spyrit's paper in Phrack 55 called "Win32 Buffer Overflows
    (Location, Exploitation and prevention".  you can find it at
    http://www.blinky-lights.org/phrack/phrack55/P55-15

    Cheers,

    -- Jamie