IDS and Unicode

From: Parth Galen (Parth_Galenat_private)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 10:10:04 PDT

    Recently I was pentesting a site and was noticed by a very good admin's homegrown IDS. His IDS was some batch files that keyed on ".exe" in the IIS logs. I have something similiar on my sites, using Snort and scanning the IIS logs.

    So, I was thinking, could someone give me the Unicoded encoded string for "cmd.exe"? Then when pentesting sites like this (using a browser, .pl, or nc based call to the Unicode or Filename Double Decode exploits) I can also test their IDS. I would then recommend that they key on "%" when not followed by "20", since a "%" sign would be suspicious when not used to encode a space.

    Thanks for your time and effort! Any feedback would be much appreciated!

    Parth

    *  Get free, secure online email at http://www.ziplip.com/  *