RE: Penetration test report - your comments please?

From: Steve Skoronski (skoronskiat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 15:14:29 PDT

    Some very good comments here, to build on Curt's points, I agree that there
    is much value in performing an external penetration test, but the tester can
    add much more to the service by observing things in the organization. It is
    one of the best ways to test, not only things like IDS mechanisms and
    firewalls, but the personnel as well. Systems are only as good as the people
    running them.

    This divides pen tests into a few shades, black - to white. Black hat
    testing meaning that only a few key people inside know it's happening. This
    has the element of real world testing. White hat meaning everyone knowing
    the attack is in progress. This can sometimes hinder testing as staff will
    attempt to raise security for the test, and in some cases I've been involved
    with, full counterstrikes are initiated.

    What approach do most people here take? Generally, because the client will
    depend on you to organize the testing, the choice is *usually* yours. What
    do you think is the best method?

    Steve