Re: Penetration test report - your comments please?

From: Curt Wilson (netw3at_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 16:42:28 PDT

    Thanks for your comments.

    The basic issue with this pen test was that the
    company is a small company offering an internet
    service for the first time. Budget contraints were the
    main issue with the limitations placed on the pen test.
    I would have liked to attempt brute force, trashing,
    and assessment/penetration of the network
    infrastructure but these were not included in our
    arrangement.

    How do other pen testers handle issues with
    outsourced ISPs? This seems like a murky area
    unless you are actually testing the ISP themselves.

    Certainly, an attacker won't care about such artificial
    boundaries, as a vulnerability is a vulnerability,
    whether it appears in the clients IIS server (surely
    not! :), sendmail, open proxy server, public/private
    community strings on routers and network devices,
    or a weakly secured linux host at the ISP just ripe and
    waiting for a rootkit and sniffer on a non-switched
    network.

    Curt Wilson, Netw3 Consulting
    www.netw3.com
    618-303-6383