Re: Tool for source routing

From: Ryan Russell (ryanat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 17:21:28 PDT

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Franklin DeMatto wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest a good tool to perform ip addr spoofing via source routing?

    You generally use source routing in an attack to get to an address you
    couldn't otherwise (for example, RFC1918 addresses.)

    > That is, it should replace the source addr with a spoofed one, and add the
    > real one as a source route.

    That implies that you're trying to spoof your source address, and get the
    victim machine to source-route back [to|through] the real attacker IP.
    It doesn't work that way.  Only the originator of a packet gets to specify
    that source routing is on.  I know of no way to force a victim to use
    source routing.

    Or I'm misunderstanding your question..

    > It must also forward the recieved packets,
    > since their dest addr will be the spoofed one.
    >
    > It should ideally be able to sit in between other apps, both ones that use
    > connect() and ones that use raw sockets, and modify the IP packets to
    > source route.  This would allow use of preexisting tools without
    > rewrite/recompilation.

    Any router or bridge along the way could do that, if you had total control
    over it... but I think the basic premise of what you're trying to do is
    off.

    						Ryan