Re: How secure are dongles for copy-protection?

From: Ryan Permeh (ryanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:23:30 PDT

    the only types of dongle protection that don't completely suck are those
    that take information from the machine and perform a specific set of
    operations on the dongle(prefereably a cryptographic operation, a hash or
    crypte/decrypt) purely in hardware on the dongle.  This means that the
    cracker either has to reverse the entire crypto algorithm(using black box
    techniques like known plaintext attacks), including finding the keyed value
    on the dongle, or use a hardware lab to actually reverse the hardware.  This
    has been doen a few times, by both academic groups and security groups like
    atstake.  you don't only want to look at dongle research, but also smartcard
    research and all of the other hardware authentication methods since most of
    the techniques to authenticate a user using a fob and authenticating
    software using a fob are basically the same.

    This basically works down to a time/money scheme, just like most crypto
    adversary equations.  Is the data you are protecting(you program in this
    sense) worth the value of spending time and money to protect in this manner?
    will an adversary think it valueable enough to do the work to break this
    scheme?  This is all assuming a "perfect" implementation, of course, where
    breaking the algorithm/key on the dongle is the easiest way in, and not just
    subverting control of the application.  Also, keep in mind that if you use
    off the shelf componenets for your dongle/algorithm, someone spending the
    time and money to crack yours may in turn crack all derivitive and
    corrolated products, making the worth of cracking your scheme potentially
    more valuable than just cracking your software(ie, look at the decss
    scenario.  one implementation fell, and with that information, all soon
    fell).

    Signed,
    Ryan Permeh
    eEye Digital Security Team