Re: How secure are dongles for copy-protection?

From: Ryan Permeh (ryanat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 12:09:30 PDT

    this is only vulnerable to a replay in certain situations.

    ie: a certain key on a certain dongle is matched to the distrubuted crypted
    pe.  hence, a single correct key would only work in conjunction to the
    specific dongle/software dist.  ie:  i make a dist for you, i gibve you a
    dongle specific to that dist.

    There stands a chance that if not implemented correctly, or if there is just
    a single decrypt of the entire code section of the executeable, you may just
    do a single memory dump to disk after it is encrypted once, then rebuild the
    executeable from this.  This is why you perform some operations at runtime
    also(in addition to other anti cracking tricks, self modifying code, anti
    debugging, etc), so that it is unlikely that
    it is worth cracking a single instance of this program while not being able
    to create a general crack for all instances.

    Really decent dongle protection is not cheap.  it is not useful for most
    software situations because of this.  Also,  it is important to remember
    that a sufficeintly dedicated cracker will break anything.  if he has it, he
    will break it.  know your opponents and protect agaiunst the highest degree
    of opponent that is efficent(time vs money vs value of the program) to
    protect against.  It's unlikely that some 30 dollar shareware program would
    require such a system.  it may be worth it, however, to protect some $100k
    systems.  it's up to the developer/vendor to evaluate the degree of
    protection that is useful for the situation.

    Signed,
    Ryan Permeh
    eEye Digital Security Team
    http://www.eEye.com/Retina -Network Security Scanner