Re: VLAN Issue

From: Ryan Russell (ryanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 07:28:28 PDT

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Damieon Stark wrote:

    >     Just to double check, the network you are working with is using
    > vlan trunking on multiple switches correct?  I have commonly met the
    > misconception about that being an issue for VLAN's on just one switch...

    The problem does exist with just one switch in at least one instance.  On
    the Catalyst 5xxx family, a researcher found that they could force 802.1q
    frames onto the switch, and some of them would leak through to the VLAN
    designated in the frames.  Cisco couldn't fix it.  The VLAN tags come at
    the end of the frame, and under load, the switch would have already
    started forwarding the frame before it knew what VLAN it was designated
    for.

    Many switches fail open (one big bridge.)  I've seen many problems with
    Cabletron MMAC+ switches, though that was several years ago now.  They
    even had hard-coded passwords that would turn off all VLAN features, and
    turn them into non-VLAN switches, though again I haven't tried that in
    years.

    				Ryan