RE: Ethical Hacking Courses

From: mhtat_private
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 08:34:27 PDT

    Argghh...

    The Ultimate/Ethical Hacking course was originally developed at a former
    Big N organization and then re-created from scratch at E&Y.  The founders
    of Foundstone who were the authors of the material E&Y again
    re-created/updated the material from scratch at Foundstone.  E&Y and
    Foundstone had a falling out about the name, so therefore E&Y got to keep
    the name Ethical Hacking and Foundstone changed their course to Ultimate
    Hacking.

    Material keeps on getting updated to keep up with the latest script
    kiddies, etc..
    "Through the router, through the firewall, into the corporations we go" was
    tutorial by some of the original writers of the material presented at one
    of the local security conferences in order to polish up the material before
    offering the course to the massess.

    The course helped acquire the right material and enthusiasm to get the
    publisher's primed to publish Hacking Exposed and then Hacking Exposed II.

    /hope this helps

    Anyways, the course currently offered by Foundstone lacks some of the
    fundamentals on why and where, and history for the reason why security
    exploits are so abudant in the wild, but offers plenty of hands-on time..

    I often wonder why organization don't offer courses like "Impractical
    Internet Security" or "Useless NT/2000 Security tools that won't help some
    script kiddie from breaking your web server"  Those sound like fun courses
    to teach.. :)