RE: Identifying Machines

From: Yonatan Bokovza (Yonatanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 06:57:41 PDT

    Two things jumps to my mind:
    1. IP_ID changes: if all the (say: UDP) ports are closed
    you get a reply saying so (ICMP_UDP_PORT_UNREACHABLE).
    You can check two consecutive packets for IP_ID change and
    deduct the OS from that. I don't know of any database of
    IP_ID -> OS, though.
    2. NMAP tests 5, 6, 7 and UDP rely on closed ports. See fyodor's
    article at:
    http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap-fingerprinting-article.html

    Best Regards,

    Yonatan Bokovza