RE: What is your policy on customers particapating in a pen test?

From: Ken Pfeil (Kenat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 13:00:34 PDT

    I've been on both sides of the fence a time or two. If you have certain
    levels of compromise set up, laid out and signed off beforehand, all the
    better. Very few clients will let you fully compromise a production system,
    but if you can prove it possible from past experience you're in much better
    shape to prove your findings without a lot of "fallout". Most clients want
    to be involved simply because:

    a) It proves to them they are getting what they are paying for (and not some
    vuln scanner report)
    b) It helps them plan better for contingencies regarding an actual
    compromise
    c) They want your input "on the fly" regarding "what if" scenarios (What if
    we had a firewall or IDS, air-gap, SSL, etc. here here and here?)
    d) They want training on pen-test procedures or need to explain exactly what
    was done to risk management/auditing/compliance
    e) They want to see that you're not doing anything "hokey" with the systems
    (backdoors, etc)
    f) They're just plain curious

    James is on-the-mark about having the client say-so in terminating the test
    at any point. May save you some legal fees :-)

    I certainly wouldn't let them "drive", but an offering of findings and ample
    time for their validation upon conclusion of your testing oughta go a long
    way....

    Best regards,
    Ken