RE: Internet Bank Vulnerable!

From: Kevin Timm (ktimmat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 19:24:58 PDT

    I've found some of the same problems.  It seems most of the big boys use
    some form of *Nix and possibly multiple layers of firewalls and are pretty
    safe. The smaller banks may have firewalls and IDS units but thier servers
    are often open to some form of attack. They seem to gravitate toward IIS
    (probably because developers push them that way) . The real problem seems to
    be most Windows Admins seem to have no clue on how to secure IIS. I have
    even had admins proclaim they should be pretty secure because they have all
    the updates only to find 5-10 IIS holes when testing. Updates can't keep you
    from installing sample scripts etc. It really seems to be poor hiring
    decisions at some of the smaller banks. I however can see how it is
    difficult for a non security person to evauluate security personel.
    Enough rambling