RE: Internet Bank Vulnerable!

From: Thomas Ray (thomas.rayat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 13:20:51 PDT

    Kelvin,et al-
       I am an IT Examiner for the State of Texas. They have recently hired me
    to start doing this kind of work (they've never had this position before)
    and this is exactly the kind of stuff I will be looking for. Unfortunately,
    I am the ONLY IT Examiner and have to account for over 250 credit unions
    (not banks, just cu's only). I won't be doing pen-tests, just doing audits
    to make sure they have appropriate security,etc, in place.  The plan is to
    check each credit union once per year......you do the math, 250 credit
    unions vs 250 working days in a year...........
       As you can no doubt guess, since I am also the first IT Examiner they
    have ever had, we are on a steep learning curve figuring out requirements.
    Unfortunately, I can't just make blanket requirements since it is
    effectively rules that have to be passed by the Agency Board. And you know
    how slowly government moves....
       I commend you for taking the time to notify the institutions involved.
    Might I also suggest that at the same time you notify the appropriate state
    regulatory agencies? In Texas, that would be the Texas Credit Union
    Department (www.tcud.state.tx.us), the Department of Banking
    (www.banking.state.tx.us), and the Texas Savings and Loan Department
    (www.tsld.state.tx.us). That will light a fire under them when the agency
    calls and asks "Why is the data unsecure?"
        Other states will have their own departments that may or may not be
    combined into one or more agencies.

    Thanks for helping keep your data secure.

    Tom Ray
    IT Examiner, Texas Credit Union Department

    nline.html

    Kelvin.