RE: Oracle8i

From: Aaron C. Newman (aaron@newman-family.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 01:02:09 PDT

    There is not alot of information out there about Oracle network security.
    The protocols are proprietary and closely guarded by Oracle.

    The oracle database runs on 1521, Jserver runs on 2481, Oracle SSL runs over
    2482, the name server 1575.

    There are a few basic items to check. Is a password set on the listener
    service. Most people have no idea they need one or how to set, so chance are
    its not there. If not you should be able to gain access as the oracle user
    or on windows as the LocalSystem user. The listener also has to lockout, so
    you can bruteforce it.

    There is the Covert alert on a buffer overflow in the listener. There is no
    a patch out for it yet.

    Oracle is not designed to be exposed to the Internet - in terms of DOS
    attacks, there is no way to prevent them, and based on the beta, this will
    not change in Oracle9i.

    There are also lots of default accounts installed that probably have not
    been changed. Try dbsnmp/dbsnmp or outln/outln. I've seen over 30 different
    default passwords on the various platforms and versions.

    There is the security alerts page at oracle, although you'll get little to
    no real information from these advisories:
    http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/index2.htm?Info&alerts.htm

    We are in the process of putting out a complete list of Oracle security
    alerts - check out our web site later this week. We have a discussion board
    specifically for Oracle security. We are working on some tools that could be
    useful to you. Let me know if you'd like to beta test.

    HTH,

    Aaron C. Newman
    CTO/Founder
    Application Security, Inc.