Re: Dsniff'ng wireless networks

From: ed.rolisonat_private
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 01:09:58 PDT

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC wireless lans are effectively switched.
    Each access point-NIC uses a separate encryption key (there are weaknesses
    but...)
    and thus the NIC only 'sees' traffic being directed at it.
    It seems also that it's quite hard to get them to enter promiscuous mode for
    similar reasons - if
    it's listening to all the traffic, then the encryption breaks down.

    You might have some joy, but the best I can see for collecting the datagrams
    would be something like
    a scanner (radio) interfaced to a computer. Of course, you still have to break
    the encryption, but there
    was an article posted to one of the securityfocus lists regarding 'weaknesses'
    in WEP.

    (this is based on a little research I did into 802.11b YMMV)

    Cheers
    Ed

    CONFIDENTIALITY:
    This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you
    are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not
    disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose, or store or
    copy the information in any medium.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
    For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
    the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/