Re: Dsniff'ng wireless networks

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhwat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 18:08:00 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 09:09:58AM +0100, ed.rolisonat_private wrote:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC wireless lans are effectively switched.

    	You are wrong...  They are broadcast media and one station can
    sniff another station as long as it can receive the RF.  Often, one
    station might not be able to receive another stations RF because they
    are out of range of each other but not out of range of the high-gain
    access point antenna.  But that is a far cry from "effectively switched"
    and is NOT something to rely on for security!

    > Each access point-NIC uses a separate encryption key (there are weaknesses
    > but...)

    	You are VERY wrong.  WEP uses a common shared key amongst ALL
    of the stations.  In order to move between access points within a
    fully managed 802.11 network (multiple access points operating
    in cooperation) then all the access points have to have the same
    Network Name and WEP encryption keys.  Most seem to support 4 decryption
    keys (Rx) and a single encryption key (Tx - One of the four Rx keys)
    but to have everything work uniformly, it would all have to be identical
    and it's ALL shared secrets.

    > and thus the NIC only 'sees' traffic being directed at it.

    	If that were true, then the WaveLAN sniffers would not be
    very effective.  In fact, they are VERY effective.

    > It seems also that it's quite hard to get them to enter promiscuous mode for
    > similar reasons - if
    > it's listening to all the traffic, then the encryption breaks down.

    	1) It's a snap to get it into promiscuous mode.  Tcpdump can do
    it on Linux, no mods necessary.  You see 802.3 (ethernet) style frames
    and encapsulation.  The 802.11 framing is stripped before presentation
    to the application layer.

    	2) It's a little more difficult to get it into RF Management/Monitor
    mode.  In fact, we don't know how to get some cards (Lucent, Cabletron, etc)
    into this mode where we can monitor access point management frames.  Other
    cards (Cisco Aironet 340 and 350) go into RF Management/Monitor mode very
    readily.  I have several.  I've seen them in action.  :-)  I prefer the
    350.  Better receive gain.  Picks up much better than the 340.  Also has
    better transmit power (but I'm not usually transmitting :-) ).

    	3) On Linux, some driver patches are required to report the ENTIRE
    802.11 encapsulation to the application layer and then you need some modified
    libpcap libraries to handle them (they are different sized than 802.3).
    Once you have that, you can find out the ESSID, the Network Name, various
    AP parameters (like whether WEP is required or used), etc, etc, etc...

    	Driving from home to work along a particular route, I know a dude
    in a certain apartment complex has "Dougnet" while a medical office further
    down the road has one named "toomanysecrets".  It's amazing how many
    have purchased a particular brand with a particular default network name
    and I see "tsunami" showing up all over the map while driving around town.

    > You might have some joy, but the best I can see for collecting the datagrams
    > would be something like
    > a scanner (radio) interfaced to a computer. Of course, you still have to break
    > the encryption, but there
    > was an article posted to one of the securityfocus lists regarding 'weaknesses'
    > in WEP.

    	Yes, there certainly are some "weaknesses" in WEP.  You might want
    to look them over.  They're incredibly lame, like reusing the undersized
    (24 bit) IV and NOT encorporating any station dependent information in
    the IV or cypherstream (so cracking one station using known plaintext
    cracks them all).  Combined that with a simple XOR between the plaintext
    and the cypherstream (making is subject to XOR reduction attacks) it's
    really pretty bad.  "Bag on head" bad...  "Go home in shame" bad...
    "Who forgot to invite the cryptographers to the meetings" bad...

    > (this is based on a little research I did into 802.11b YMMV)

    > Cheers
    > Ed

    > CONFIDENTIALITY:
    > This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you
    > are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not
    > disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose, or store or
    > copy the information in any medium.

    	Mike
    --
     Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhwat_private
      (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
    For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
    the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/