RE: Dsniff'ng wireless networks

From: Jon Larimer (jlarimerat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 10:29:58 PDT

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Philip Cox wrote:

    > Mike,
    > > 	3) On Linux, some driver patches are required to report the ENTIRE
    > > 802.11 encapsulation to the application layer and then you need
    > > some modified libpcap libraries to handle them
    >
    > Are these patches publicly available? If so, where?

    Javier Achirica posted some patches to airo.c and libpcap to the aironet
    mailing list. They work against Ben Reed's aironet driver in the pcmcia-cs
    package.

    http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/pipermail/aironet/2001-May/001220.html

    An earlier version is at:

    http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/pipermail/aironet/2001-May/001186.html

    The earlier post says the patches are to be used against version 1.7 of
    Ben's driver from the CVS repository. I've successfully applied the patches
    and got my aironet card into monitor mode. It won't return the aironet frame
    headers, but you will see all 802.11 frames with headers. The driver needs
    modified further to return the aironet headers, which have information like channel,
    signal strength, transmission rate, etc.

    -jon

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
    For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
    the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/