Re: snmp vulnerablities

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 06:50:18 PDT

    > Hi there. how do you exploit or gain access
    from vulnerable host using snmp
    vulnerablities. I've tried to used this command
    but its not work :

    I'm not sure why you would try sending 'echo'
    commands to the SNMP agent...do any agents
    have a vulnerability that will allow them to
    write to the drive?

    I have always seen SNMP as a great recon
    protocol, especially when it is misconfigured
    (ie, default community strings, no restrictions
    on management stations, etc).  On Win2K, you
    can enum usernames, services, TCP/UDP info,
    etc.

    Systems running SNMP can divulge
    information...if they are misconfigured.  This
    is why many people call SNMP a 'dangerous'
    protocol.  As with anything else, some simple
    configuration steps can fix that.  Yes, if
    someone installs a sniffer and captures some
    datagrams containing your SNMPv1 read-write
    community string, you could most definitely
    have problems (though I doubt that those
    problems include the ability to write to the
    drive).  However, if someone is able to load a
    sniffer on your network, you've got other
    problems to worry about...

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/