Bug found in list.org's Mailman software.

From: bluefur0r bluefur0r (bluefur0rat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 14:03:45 PDT

    Hello all,
    when i was pen-testing a client who was running mailman v1.1. When mucking with the urls I found if you passed nothing to the url: www.victim.org/mailman/edithtml it spills the following information:
    Bug in Mailman version 1.1

    We're sorry, we hit a bug!
    If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what happened. Thanks!

    Traceback:

    Traceback (innermost last):
      File "/home/mailman/install/scripts/driver", line 112, in run_main
        main()
      File "/home/mailman/install/Mailman/Cgi/edithtml.py", line 49, in main
        path = os.environ['PATH_INFO']
      File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/UserDict.py", line 12, in __getitem__
        def __getitem__(self, key): return self.data[key]
    KeyError: PATH_INFO

    Environment variables:
    Variable Value
    DOCUMENT_ROOT  /home/www/XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    SERVER_ADDR  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING  gzip, deflate
    SERVER_PORT  80
    REMOTE_ADDR  XX.XX.XX.XX
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE  en-us
    GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1
    SERVER_NAME  insecure.mailmanserver.org
    HTTP_CONNECTION  Keep-Alive
    HTTP_USER_AGENT  Mozilla/4.0
    HTTP_ACCEPT  image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
    REQUEST_URI  /mailman/edithtml
    PATH  /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
    QUERY_STRING
    SCRIPT_FILENAME  /home/mailman/mailman/cgi-bin/edithtml
    HTTP_HOST        insecure.mailmanserver.org
    REQUEST_METHOD  GET
    SERVER_SIGNATURE  Apache/1.3.9 Server at insecure.mailmanserver.org Port 80
    SCRIPT_NAME  /mailman/edithtml
    SERVER_ADMIN  xxxat_private
    SERVER_SOFTWARE  Apache/1.3.9 (Unix)
    PYTHONPATH  /home/mailman/install
    SERVER_PROTOCOL  HTTP/1.1
    REMOTE_PORT  61464

    Obviously this gives an attacker a good amount of information. From testing other hosts about the internet i've come to the following conclusions...
    All are insecure up to version 2.0. the 2.0betaX's are insecure but 2.0 itself is not.
    if you have any further questions please let me know at the following address:
    idawsonat_private
    I've notified the people who run list.org but since it is patched after v2.0 i imagine they already know. But i did not see anything on my exploit searches that would point to this ever being discovered/discussed. Thanks,
    isaac.
    From my testings:
    2.0beta6 vuln
    2.0beta2 vuln
    1.1 vuln
    -=================================-
    2.0.1 not vuln
    version 2.0.5 (101270) not vuln
    2.0.5 not vuln
    version 2.0rc1 not vuln
    2.0.3 not vuln
    2.0 not vuln

    Kies een origineel e-mailadres op www.emails.nl

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/