Re: snmp vulnerablities

From: mhtat_private
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:41:54 PDT

    Tricklet - the DNPAP's SNMP library, which is a collection of small
    programs designed to enable the user to do SNMP requests in a friendly way.
    It contains snmp-get to do snmp GET requests, snmp-set to do snmp SET
    requests, snmp-tbl to retrieve an SNMP table, snmp-nxt to do snmp GETNEXT
    requests, snmp-inf to retrieve information about an SNMP MIB variable, etc,
    etc.

    The snmp-echo command was implemented for testing purposes only.  snmp-echo
    can receive SNMPv1 requests and responses and can display their contents in
    a format that is easily parsable. GET, SET and NEXT requests are returned
    unchanged as responses.

    *still scratching head at original poster's question regarding how echo can
    be used to find snmp vulnerabilities???

    Side note:

    http://solarwinds.net/tools/Cisco_Networking/Password_Decryptor/index.htm
    http://solarwinds.net/tools/Cisco_Networking/Config_Viewer/index.htm
    A nifty tool that allows for Router Password Decryption any Type 7 Cisco
    Passwords for Cisco routers.

    Anywho, one can refer  to

    http://www.snmp.com/FAQs/snmp-faq-part1.txt
    http://www.snmp.com/FAQs/snmp-faq-part2.txt

    References to Frequently Asked Questions about SNMP

    /cheers

    At 11:06 AM 7/17/2001 -0700, Peter Van Epp wrote:
    >         My guess would be that the original poster is trying to exploit the
    >Solaris SNMP hole (where an echo might make some sense since its a Unix box)
    >but didn't know it (or at least didn't articulate it). It came across bugtraq
    >some time ago so a search in the bugtraq archives may be productive. I didn't
    >look closer than to make sure we had already disabled the program involved
    >(probably by removing the SUID bit from the program) so I didn't check the
    >details.
    >
    >Peter Van Epp / Operations and Technical Support
    >Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C. Canada

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/