RE: Replacing WEP was Re: Dsniff'ng wireless networks

From: Artes, Francisco (franciscoat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 01:16:39 PDT

    Here you assume that you have some security by using WEP.  WLANs are simply
    not secure, and should never be treated as a private network.  They should
    always be treated like a public network and secured accordingly.  E.g.,
    place them behind a firewall with no routing between the private and the
    WLAN IP network, and open VPN tunnels into the private network.

    If by community network you mean a public access point to the Internet via
    802.11 then just pop up some SSIDs and leave the WEP  key off so people can
    just attach.  (Without the hassle of cracking WEP.)