Replacing WEP was Re: Dsniff'ng wireless networks

From: Simon Waters (Simonat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 16:14:50 PDT

    Someone is thinking of doing a community network with
    Wireless LAN.

    WEP seems to offer little in this environment, so thinking
    of replacing it with IP based encryption - sort of a public
    PKI. Assuming we can get users to switch of non-IP protocols
    on their client PCs (I know it is hard to right click
    network neighbourhood and pick properties), do we lose any
    security at layer two by not using WEP?

    i.e. Are we more vulnerable to some other types of attack -
    I'm guessing mostly DoS if any more are possible. But hey
    they can probably DoS more profitably by stealing the
    antennas from the relays and selling them.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/