RE: Tool kit assembly

From: Petruzel, Oliver (OliverPat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 08:32:30 PDT

    Classic Attack Box build:

    Requirements:

    1 Laptop which must be linux-friendly hardware, and
    1 tech-savvy, linux-and-NT-friendly, (part-time coder) engineer-dude.

    START WITH:

    - partition the Drive in a 50/50 split or 60/40
    - Install NT/2k workstation on largest partition
    - Install as many NT attack tools as possible, including ISS
    scanner/Cybercop if possible.
    - Install ActivePerl, Visual C++ with latest service pack, and Java JDK -
    latest.
    - Install NmapNT, superscan, sam spade, etc. (all freeware)
    - Install debug tools (windbg works, but look for better)
    - Install freeware forensics tools.  S-tools, Hex editors, etc. Encase if
    you can.

    THEN
    - Install VMWare 2.0
    - Install linux flavor of your choice on second parition and configure it
    within VMware
    - Install latest nix version of nmap, nessus, saint, sara, etc.
    - Install Snort, ethereal, tcpdump and similar tools.
    - Install latest C/java libraries.
    - Download every piece of attack code you can find = millions of available
    scripts and coded pieces, just start with the latest and greatest and work
    backwords.  Good luck getting 99% of them to compile on anything without
    fixing the code.  That's the fun part, right? lol.
    (sources will be bugtraq list, securityfocus.com, IRC, packetstorm,
    rootabega, neworder.box.sk, etc etc.  make sure to collect trojans as well -
    preferably their source code - also research methods of creating malicious
    web content or email via html/java/activex - also collect DoS code as well:
    you never know when you may wish to flood an IDS port...)

    Then, if you reaqlly want to be high speed, do this:
    - Install a wireless NIC which conforms to as many wireless standards as
    possible.
    - install dsniff and/or any sniffing tools you can find, on either platform
    - read up on wireless sniffing

    That would be a good start.  There are hundreds of little apps and tools
    which i failed to list, and some of the stuff i mentioned may cost some good
    money.  But ultimately, you end up with a unit which you may Ghost and
    re-use forever as your portable attacking monster.

    By the way, I prefer the complete opposite, as I make linux my primary OS,
    and install VMware for linux and go the other way... as linux is where i
    hang my hat.

    good luck. any questions, feel free to contact me anytime

    - Oliver Petruzel
    - Computer Intrusion Analyst
    - Aegis Research Corporation