Re: DoS ToolKit

From: dharana (dharanaat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 01:17:04 PDT

    Ershad Shafi Chowdhury(iru@bol-online.com)@2001.07.31 10:12:04 +0000:
    > Whoa! Hold on those tests if you don't know what to do to protect
    > yourself first. DoS can be nasty especially if carried out during office
    > hours.

    The idea is first to try pen-testing against the actual configuration, and
    then make the necessary changes.

    > I suggest reading relevant security docs for those network
    > devices, e.g. Cisco, WinNT, Win2K, Linux and other devices you may have,
    > and checking if you have the protection in place.

    http://neworder.box.sk/
    http://packetstorm.linuxsecurity.com/
    http://www.securityfocus.com/

    Do you recommend me another website of the like?

    > Then, you can blast away, first from a remote site, then from your local
    > LAN while no one is working at the office. If you can, close any DB's
    > you may have running (you don't want your OS to crash and corrupt the DB
    > too), and if everything works out, you can test again with them up and
    > running.

    I think I know what I'm playing with. My question was more about what kind of
    attacks. For example:
    - Smurf Attacks
    - Arp poisoning hubs and switches
    - Jolt'ing against the Windows Machines.
    - (a lot more I don't know at this moment)

    I've already tried exploits against the visible services (some of them might cause
    DoS) and now I wanted to test the stability of some of our routers,
    firewalls and workstations and servers.

    > On the other hand, if you have already taken the precautions, start with
    > attempting DoS at workstations, servers, firewalls, hubs, switches and
    > finally routers.

    Here we are. Do you know any good place to start?

    > Regards,
    > Ershad Shafi Chowdhury (Iru)
    > Chief Information Officer
    > Bangladesh Online Ltd - A Beximco Company
    > House 21, Road 3, Dhanmondi R/A, Dhaka 1205
    > Tel: +88029668320, Fax: +88029668321

    Thanks for your time,