Ghost Port Scan - advanced port scanner and more

From: whitehatat_private
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 10:22:35 PDT

      I sent a mail (about two months ago) to the list about Ghost Port Scan version 0.5.0. The reason I did it is that GPS may be very helpful for pen-tester, especially in LAN pen-testing.
      GPS-0.7.0 is now available (http://gps.sourceforge.net) and I will try to expose its functionnalities in few words. Since the first versions, GPS has acquired its own 'personnality' and is _not_ a simple alternative to nmap, but a nice complement.

    Presentation:

      GPS is an advanced port scanner and a firewall rules disclosure software, which uses IP and MAC spoofing, ARP poisoning, sniffing and other technics in order to perform stealth and untrackable information collections. GPS is especially efficient in LAN pen-testing, due to its ability to disclose the firewall settings of a host.

    Functionnalities:

     Spoofing:
      GPS is able to use two spoofing levels: IP and MAC/ethernet. MAC spoofing allows _abslolutely_ untrackable scans, because both source IP and MAC addresses are spoofed.

     Sniffing:
      As far as GPS uses spoofed sources addresses, it has to use sniffing in order to get responses back.

     Stealth scanning:
      To be short, GPS uses several stealthness technics, including SYN, FIN/NULL/XMAS, ACK, RAND and FWRD scan modes, fragmentation (tiny frags and fragment overlapping), multiple spoofed sources.. Take a look at http://gps.sourceforge.net for further description.

     Smart timeout handling:
      The timeout is evaluated dynamically.

      I tried to be short. Try GPS, it is better than talking about it :)
    Any comment or idea is welcome.

    Homepage: gps.sourceforge.net
    Contact:  whitehatat_private

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/