Re: Security Audit

From: Bill Pennington (billpat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 08:31:15 PDT

    Todd Ransom wrote:

    > What is the difference between vuln assessment and pen test?

    The answer is pretty straight forward but many people in the business
    mix the 2 all the time, or maybe I am just wrong. :-)

    Pen-Test - the sole purpose of a pen-test is to penetrate the
    network/application. The client and the consultant should agree on a set
    of goals, like gain access to HR database from outside, gain access to
    the credit card database... The end result is a yes we got in and this
    is how or no we didn't get in.

    Assessment - An assessment aims to find all vulnerabilities on all host
    (or a representative sample) on the target network. Generally no attempt
    is made to exploit is vulnerabilities past identifying them.

    An example - On an engagement I find a host vulnerable to the IIS
    unicode bug. During an assessment I would note it and move on. During a
    pen-test I would tftp netcat, get a shell, escalate to system and start
    poking around looking for "good stuff".

    > I have not done either but this seems like a highly subjective area to me.
    > Are you really going to do a vuln assess on a dynamic web site - with all
    > its custom scripts and database connectivity and possibly middleware - in 20
    > minutes?  It sounds like a vuln assess consists of running Nessus or
    > something similar, searching bugtraq archives and possibly throwing in a
    > google search for extra credit.

    It is heavily dependent on the clients environment. Most security firms
    do not have the expertise in house to perform a web application review
    so if your site has a complex web app. it will not be tested during a
    pen-test. The sales guys would call that an application
    pen-test/assessment and raise the rates :-).

    Just a quick note on tools. Everyone uses Nessus/IIS/CyberCop during an
    assessment. You have to see HOW your consultant uses them. Do they run
    it and give you the report? Do they check for false pos/negs? Do they
    use it as a final sweep to make sure they did miss anything?

    > Even on a workstation it seems like you couldn't get much done in 20
    > minutes.  I don't even see how you could reliably enumerate all the
    > installed software in less than 20 minutes.

    That depends on what you are doing. I would say you could do an
    automated network scan on a workstation in this time. A full vuln. scan
    enumerating services and finding vulnerabilities on a single host would
    not take that long.

    --

    Bill Pennington - CISSP