Re: Security Audit

From: Todd Ransom (transomat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 09:24:20 PDT

    Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  I'm looking to start a
    security consulting practice and this has been very helpful.  It seems like
    the bulk of the job is checking for and possibly exploiting known
    vulnerabilites.  Although I'm sure I will end up doing plenty of this, I'm
    more interested in auditing architecture/implementation and attempting to
    exploit currently unknown problems.  Is the market ready for someone to
    offer this type of service?  For example, will the market pay for a
    consultant to come in and test a web site for cross-site scripting problems?
    Use of dangerous server side objects (I'm thinking COM objects in ASP
    script)?  Evaluate corporate browser or mail client deployments?  This type
    of analysis would have to be far more expensive because it would take
    considerable expertise and possibly large amounts of time.  It sounds like a
    pen test could sometimes include this type of activity.

    thanks,
    TR