Testing load balanced servers behind NAT

From: Andrew Koh (drewkohat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 00:23:50 PDT

    Greetings!

    I'm currently doing a quick vulnerability test using nessus on some of our
    machines which are load balanced behind a firewall/NAT system. As there are
    a few machines distributed on the virtual IP, I was wondering if there's
    anyway to make sure that when nessus connects to the virtual IP, it will
    keep hitting the same server.
    How would I test each server in the pool?

    Also, is there any other documentation on identifying hosts behind
    proxy/NAT(like FW-1), their internal IP and getting to other internal
    machines which are not directly accessible from outside?

    On identifying hosts:
     From what I have read so far, its possible to elicit responses by crafting
    packets with missing packet fragments and invalid IP header lengths/field
    values. Then you match up the TTL, TOS and DF bits from the responses to
    see if its different from the firewall. (Of course you need to id the
    firewall first). That's assuming the various ICMP types haven't been filtered.

    On getting internal IP:
    Besides misconfigured  DNS and snmp, are there any other ways to find out
    internal host IP?

    On routing to internal machines:
    The only way I can think of is bouncing off other internal hosts which are
    accessible to the Internet. How does source routing work as there are many
    routers out there which filter them.

    Any thoughts?

    p.s. yeah, I'm trying to prove to my boss that a FW-1 solution isn't the
    be-all-end-all :)

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/