Re: Security Audit

From: bacano (bacanoat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 11:08:30 PDT

    From: "H Carvey" <keydet89at_private>

    > Generally (and in order to set the playing field
    > here) a pen test is done in the blind, or with
    > very little information.  The more prior knowledge
    > a pen tester has, the less 'fair' the test is
    > going to be.  However, the lack of prior knowledge
    > can extend the time of the pen test, depending on
    > what was contracted.

    This is really important, and I completly agree. A zero knowledge pen test
    should be the starting point of an audit, where the auditor will not know
    anything (except a hostname or IP address, for what he just have to know
    what client is it). The conditions for doing the test MUST be the same that
    an external attacker may have access or can discover. After that, and now
    with the feedback of the first reports (and of course after ALL reported
    problems being fixed), and with a little more knowledge provided by the
    client (from interviews, etc...), other audit can be done, where the
    external attacker can be a potencial dissatisfied and evil ex-employee.

    Regarding studies like CSI/FBI survey, more or less, the 1st test will cover
    about 20-30% of the potencial attackers while the 2nd will cover the others
    70-80%.
    The 1st test should be much longer in time and resources, and usually the
    clients here don't understant quiet well where their money goes. So most of
    the times clients prefer to contract the 2nd test only, because it takes
    less time and money. Also, that's why after that their systems are still
    vulnerable.

    It is important for the client that a little education is provided, at least
    regarding why the need of this diferent kinds of tests, what are they
    covering regarding the real world problems in the security field. And also,
    why pen tests should be regular, each month or 2 or 6 or whatever ... An
    audit will only cover a specific period of time, so it is not anyway and not
    anyhow a garantee that in the (short) future problems will not happen.

    At the technical side and at the commercial side for both parts (consultant
    and client), the more audits in a period of time are made, the better the
    investiment and the results. For example, with 12 audits a year the price
    for each will be easy 50%, where the other 50% will be paid with those 2/3
    salaries from internal guys that are not needed anymore (those two can even
    join the consultant company and after some trainning they can do the job for
    half the price, because they will be in other projects too ... and everybody
    will be happy).

    > One way of doing it is to ask the consulting firm
    > for references...but they'd be fools to give you
    > negative references, wouldn't they?  So when
    > you're talking to them, find out what their model
    > is, how they go about doing things.

    Some security consulting companies will not give away clients references,
    because keeping confidential other companies with past or present security
    problem is part of the contract with a client. What they can give is the
    "Curriclula" of their auditors that whould be in some project; or projets
    made public by the client on his own. Other problem can be also giving away
    models and methods, because there are many smartasses that are just looking
    after knowledge to do the job themselfs.

    [  ]'s bacano

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/