Re: How to Tackle the Legal Tangle?

From: Sameer Saxena (sameerat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 10:38:16 PDT

    Hi Biju,

    A) You could refer to the fllwg link for a Sample Pentest Contract

    http://www.pwcrack.com/Penetration_Testing/Penetration_Testing_Contract/pene
    tration_testing_contract.html

    B) You wil also need to check in the Indian CyberLaw about clauses needed to
    protect an organization's network and computing resources. I dont think we
    have a Privacy Law in India (which protects private information on
    individuals). If we had, you would also need to look up the same. Penalties
    for the unauthorized release of protected information, as well as specific
    access authorization criteria should be documented in the legal document.

    There is also a personal liability issue. Down time to get an organization's
    network back on-line, or to simply recover data after a virus attack can be
    very expensive. Costs can also be high if certain types of data is
    manipulated to show other than actual information. Therefore, it is
    important for the tester to understand that unauthorized use of any software
    for the purpose of manipulating or otherwise destroying data can result in
    personal legal responsibility for organizational financial loss.

    Lets examine closely what a penetration test tool really does. Remember that
    the tool works by actually attacking a network. If the attack is successful,
    the information can also be used as an initial step in the monitoring
    process. Look out for the Clause that  applies to those who knowingly access
    a computer without authorization, or to those who exceed their
    authorization. Additionally, the site users should be normally pre-warned,
    the actual testing of a particular user's machine must be accomplished with
    sensitivity to both the user and the system manager responsible for the
    network being tested to avoid any misunderstandings.

    C) One more links for you:
    http://www.sans.org/infosecFAQ/legal/business.htm

    http://www.sans.org/infosecFAQ/legal/liability.htm

    Cheers,