RE: L0phtcrack 3.0 and W2K

From: Don Weber (Donat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 16:00:34 PDT

    apparently the passwords fed to it are at least not easy, if you are using
    the trial version it won't go through all the methods, especially brute
    force, and make sure you copied/imported the created by the sniffer. LC3
    will crack the passwords given time with the full version, you could create
    a test account with a known password, make it an easy one, that is a regular
    word, jsut so you can see that it can be cracked. I've used LC3 the same
    method you are trying and successfully retreived about 25% of my network
    passwords, using the trial version, I immediately had those passwords
    expired and turned on Use Strong Passwords enforcement, the easy passwords
    won't happen again, but if you get the full version, install it on an unused
    system, and just let it run for a while, it will eventually crack the
    passwords using brute force, then by knowing how long it takes can give you
    an idea of how often you  want to force password changes, I seem to recall
    seeing a faq about various lengths of time taken on dif systems, and some
    were exceeding 2 weeks of crunching.