Re: Security Audit

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 04:43:25 PDT

    To all,

    From comments I've received via email, I think this
    discussion has been very beneficial to a great many
    people.  I'd like to thank everyone for contributing
    opposing or complimentary views, and I'd like to thank
    the moderator for allowing the posts through.

    I'd like to progress the discussion a bit by going a
    step or two beyond the actual vulnerability
    assessment/verification testing engagement.  There are
    a limited number of ways to collect the information
    necessary for an assessment, so the key business
    differentiator for any consulting company is the
    analysis done on that information.

    Consulting companies and their clients need to
    understand that security is never perfect.  Since a
    vulnerability assessment is a snapshot of the
    infrastructure, the analysis and recommendations
    provided by the consulting firm need to follow a
    "protect and detect" model...provide recommendations
    that are cost-effective and meet the client's business
    needs, doing what can be done to protect (ie, patches,
    updated apps and configurations, etc) against known
    and future vulnerabilities, and then detect (ie,
    monitoring)any new, unknown vulnerabilities that may
    occur.

    The security goal for the client will be to make it
    difficult for someone, attacking either externally or
    internally, to cause a security incident to come to
    fruition without being detected.  Security consulting
    firms should have this as their goal, as well, with
    respect to their clients.  This being said, what has
    been referred to as a "blind pen test" quickly drops
    out of the picture all together as a method of
    reaching this goal.  A vulnerability assessment of the
    overall infrastructure examines the configurations of
    hosts within that infrastructure, the relationship
    between the hosts, and the processes and procedures
    used by the admins.  The assessment gets into every
    nook and cranny and peeks into the deep, dark corners.
     Verification testing (ie, "full disclosure pen test")
    can be done once recommended changes have been put in
    place.

    Attempting to break in blindly using no more
    information than a domain name is not something that
    can be completed in a week or two for larger
    infrastructures, and leaves many items unchecked.
    However, a "blind pen test" can be used at a later
    date to test the effectiveness of detection, as well
    as incident response procedures.  At that point,
    conducting such a test with full knowledge of the
    infrastructure would definitely be very beneficial.

    Thanks for your time.  Thoughts/comments appreciated.

    Carv

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/