Re: L0phtcrack

From: Anders Thulin (Anders.X.Thulinat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 00:05:55 PDT

    Jim Miller wrote:

    > Last I heard, mostly from this list, L0phtcrack version 2, which was free, was
    >doing the job, but version 3, which costs money, was having problems cracking on time.

      Noone seems to have adressed the time problem yet.

      atstake recently sent out a mail to their customers saying:

        An updated release of LC3 (version 3.02) boosts performance
        in the Dictionary and Hybrid audits. We encountered and fixed
        a bug that slows the Dictionary and Hybrid audits, and in
        certain cases, caused the Hybrid to seemingly grind to a
        crawl. The NTLM cracking process was being unnecessarily
        invoked in these cases.

        3.02 also resolves an issue in which launching LC3 from a
        session saved on a drive other than the one where LC3 is
        installed could revert a registered version of LC3 to Trial
        mode.

      I haven't tested this in depth yet, though, to say if there's
    a solid improvement.

    > Has the situation changed?  Is LC3 now a stable product?  Is it worth the cost of
    > oftware, the cost of installation and the cost of the learning curve?

      It's still an enabling tool, rather than a supporting tool: you get the tools
    for collecting passwords, and cracking them from dictionary etc., but the
    tools are separate, and may not work together well enough to make your
    particular job easier.

      A comprehensive password crack will require using a number of passwords lists
    in some specific order, typically: passwords cracked in earlier sessions,
    other 'well-known' passwords, names of people, various other names
    (products, places, characters, etc), and full dictionaries, before the brute
    force session starts.  LC3 gives you only one dictionary -- so it's
    hand reconfiguration to switch password dictionaries, and that upsets the
    session concept of LC3.

      John the Ripper is easier to tailor in this respect, but it also has
    some shortcomings: you get only two word transformation rule sets, and
    only one of those can be applied to word lists.   To get approximately the
    same functionality as with LC3, JtR needs to be complemented with
    pwdump (or one of its later incarnations pwdump2 or pwdump3).
    I'm not sure of JtR will do both Lan Manager hashes and NT hashes, like LC3.
    It does Lan Manager hashes, though.

      Furthermore LC3 does not seem to make it possible to export password hashes
    in text form as earlier versions of L0phtcrack did -- thus, you get rather
    locked into the program.

      I still use LC3, but I find I'm using the JtR/pwdump combo more and more.

    --
    Anders Thulin     Anders.X.Thulinat_private     040-661 50 63
    Telia ProSoft AB, Carlsgatan 6, SE-201 20 Malmö, Sweden

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/