RE: 802.11B and libpcap

From: Anton Rager (a_ragerat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 06:34:06 PDT

    Frank,

    Monitor mode allows raw capture of 802.11 frames.
    This includes beacons, probes, and additional wireless
    headers.

    Promiscuous mode captures ethernet frames within the
    802.11 fame, but skips the 802.11 headers.

    Another difference is that standard pmode allows the
    card to still RX and TX while capturing -- but monitor
    mode should put the wireless card in RX only mode.

    There are two ways to read these frames from monitor
    mode:

    1 - With prism based cards and linux-wlan, prismdump
    can be used to capture the 802.11 frames.  Ethereal
    can then be used to decode the frames into a readable
    format. [This is what the current public WEPCrack
    uses]
    2 - Libpcap can be patched to retrieve the 802.11 info
    directly.  [This is what Airsnort uses, as well as the
    next release of WEPCrack].  linux-wlan-ng can be
    patched to do this, and the Cisco linux drivers also
    have this capability.  There is a difference between
    the Cisco and Wlan libpcap data because both cards add
    an additional vendor header to the 802.11 frame.

    I currently have code that works with prismdump,
    linux-wlan libpcap, and Cisco aironet libcap that I
    will be releasing to our site soon.  Supposedly it is
    possible to configure Symbol based cards [Symbol,
    Nortel, Intel, 3Com] for monitor mode as well, but I
    have not been able to find drivers that can do this
    yet.

    Anton Rager

    WEPCrack author
    wepcrack.sourceforge.net