RE: Security Audit

From: Dom De Vitto (Domat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 11:52:26 PDT

    > From: Phil Cracknell [mailto:philat_private]
    > <SNIP>
    > > > Other problem can be also giving away
    > > > models and methods, because there are many
    > > smartasses that are just looking
    > > > after knowledge to do the job themselfs.
    >
    > We have a methodology and would not hesitate in giving it to our clients,
    we
    > do so regularly, and we also abstract from this a detailed test plan for
    > them. These documents allow for some form of measurement in all of this
    and
    > as a result if a cowboy tries to sell them a $500 remote scan they have
    > something to compare it too.

    Great I think the cowboys/salesfolk all need lining up against a wall...

    > The 'right' sort of client will have already identified that doing the job
    > themselves is not the right approach I would hope, regardless of how smart
    > their ass is.

    Nope, I totally disagree.  If the company can afford to spend circa $150,000
    pa
    on a _good_ consultant, that consultant will know more about their
    infrastructure,
    technologies, software and risks than any "one week wonder".  They'll also
    gauge
    risk accurately for *that* company, e.g. which is worse - intrusion or DOS ?
    For (say) a retailer, a small intrusion will cost them a lot less than a
    total DOS,
    but for a bank the reverse is likely to be true....for instance.

    It's nice to have fresh young 'uns that can "walk-the-walk" - if you
    can't...

    But frankly it's far better value to get a permanent, 100% security guru
    to do the work, and give them the responsibility to monitor and enforce a
    level
    of security before, before and after infrastructure goes live.

    Saying that a smart client is never as good as a consultant assumes the
    cream
    of the security set (ahem) haven't gone "permie"...
    ...say, for a quite indecent amount of cash :-)

    Dom

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/