RE Modem identification

From: Nate.Kingat_private
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 15:43:53 PDT

    I prefer PhoneSweep by Sandstorm Enterprises at http://www.sandstorm.net/. It has the capability to identify 305 different dial-up systems by name, including ones that do not provide visible text banners.  It is a commercial product, however, and can be expensive.

    I wrote an article for Information Security Magazine in June 2000 that compared various commercial and free war dialing tools (PhoneSweep, TeleSweep Secure, and THC-Scan).  The URL is http://www.infosecuritymag.com/articles/june00/features1.shtml.  TeleSweep Secure has probably changed the most since then, but hopefully it will help.

    Good Luck,

    Nate

    Nate King, CISSP
    Managing Consultant, Ethical Hacking Division
    Global Integrity Information Security
    Predictive Systems, Inc.

    E-Mail: nate.kingat_private
    http://www.predictive.com

    >"Perciaccante, Robert" <Robert.Perciaccanteat_private>
    >09/21/2001 08:06 AM
    >

    >        To:     pen-testat_private
    >        cc:
    >        Subject:        Modem identification
    >

    >After identifying modems that are set to answer inbound dialing, I would
    >like to figure out a better way to identify the types of dial-in systems
    >these are.  While some do spit banners, and aid in identification, most
    >do not.  Can anyone recommend a suitable "modem identifier"?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bob Perciaccante

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/