Re: FW: RE Modem identification

From: Bikar Dude (bikaat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 15:17:53 PDT

    > Regardless of TeleSweep or PhoneSweep it is an ASCII text
    > banner match issue.  In our tests the jury is still out but
    > I would tend to agree with Nate that PhoneSweep might be
    > doing a better job of classifying the modems that were found
    > than TeleSweep as of late; most recent release against most
    > recent release.  Run your own drag race and see.

    Would be curious to see results of this, too.

    I looked @ wardialers about a month back went with TeleSweep. Be sure to
    check out compatible & suggested modem lists from a product before
    choosing.  I went with a suggested 6 modem internal PCI card - physical
    footprint and wiring logistics for 6 modems didn't sound fun nor did
    messing with a PRI & Ascend Max.  6 lines @ 50 seconds/call ~= 450 call/hr
    or 10k in 3 evenings. Performance junkies: larger weapons available at:
    http://www.empirix.com/empirix/voice+network+test/products/telephony+performance+test.html

    Some bad points about Telesweep:

    Missed an AS/400. Someone else said this was 3270/3278 emulation
    which Telesweep doesn't have a signature for (?).

    It dropped a few numbers in a simple 1000 number range (always check your
    results!)

    Some good points for Telesweep:

    Pretty inexpensive - $1k software + $700 hardware. I can't
    imagine most of us needing a distributed, enterprise enabled,
    ODBC backended, client server _war dialer_.

    //* ObHacker: Pick any 6 unix utilities and write a complete war-dialer.
    ObHacker++: Try to reduce the total number of letters in the 6 commands to
    less than 20. *//

    Simple (good) reports. HTML tables were handy for some things but I mostly
    just used the .CSV which is generated at scan time. Also very handy were
    the transaction logs - ASCII & hex dump of all modem calls. In a few cases
    just by reading this I was able to identify systems pretty easily without
    actually dialing them again.

    -b

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/