Re: FW: baby pen-test question

From: Florindo.Gallicchioat_private
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 12:43:02 PDT

    Leon:

    Before I use any commercial scanner (both as a consultant and in my present
    job), I ALWAYS do an nmap sweep of varying degrees.  nmap is your very best
    friend.  Depending on certain parameters of a system (e.g., mission
    criticality, level of risk, accessibility by humans versus services, etc.),
    I will do either a "known-port" nmap scan, or a full scan (-p1-65535).  UDP
    scans are a bit difficult to do since there's a high degree of false
    returns based on the nature of UDP, but I do test for the known ports.
    Remember that a scanner will not tell you definitively if there is a
    backdoor on the machine.  You have to manually check on the command line
    using such things as netstat and such.

    As for testing a large network, I primarily base my efforts on the mission
    criticality and level of risk to determine what tests I do.  Oftentimes a
    representative sampling works, especially if all servers in a group or
    network are built from the same JumpStart script (or whatever it is you can
    use for Microsoft servers) or manual lockdown procedure.  Unfortunately,
    most of my clients in the past did not have commonly configured machines,
    so again, the principles behind risk levels and mission criticality apply.

    Oh - as for your comment about leaving the scan running over night:  I
    would never, ever recommend running any automated scan against any
    production machine.  It can result in you getting paged in the middle of
    the night by some support person calling you in to explain why the scan
    broke a production machine.  This happens whether or not you were perfectly
    careful in the type of scan you ran.  Two exceptions to my rule: wardialing
    and the use of the "Paranoid" setting on nmap, which takes approximately
    two point five lifetimes to do a Class-C.

    Florindo
    Florindo Gallicchio * Director, Security Assessment & Compliance *
    Radianz * 492 River Rd. * Nutley, NJ 07110 USA *
    +1 973 662 3158 * florindo.gallicchioat_private

    |--------+----------------------->
    |        |          "leon"       |
    |        |          <leonat_private|
    |        |          m>           |
    |        |                       |
    |        |          09/23/2001   |
    |        |          09:06 PM     |
    |        |                       |
    |--------+----------------------->
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |                                                                                                                        |
      |       To:     <pen-testat_private>                                                                             |
      |       cc:                                                                                                              |
      |       Subject:     FW: baby pen-test question                                                                          |
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    Hi everyone,

    I have a few “baby” questions about pen-testing / vulnerability assessment.
    I say this because maybe the answers to these questions are common
    knowledge (probably are).  My first question is about port scanning.  Bear
    with me while I set up a scenario.  Well I would think backdoors in a
    network would generally listen on some port.  Now lets say we have some
    kind of listener kind of like sub 7 or whatever but home-made.  It does not
    have an anti-virus signature so it is not picked up by that.  I know that
    things like ISS, Nessus, Cybercop, Etc look for Trojans by scanning the
    default ports (subseven 27374, netbus 12345, etc).  If I am a hacker I am
    going to have the server run on a very high port number like 60,000.  So
    when people do audits my question is do you port scan every port (both tcp,
    & udp) on every host or do you just scan with the ISS or maybe just an Nmap
    of 1 - 1024?  Do people nmap everything (every single port on both tcp &
    udp)?  I would assume this must take quite a bit of time if the network is
    large (even small) and probably use up a lot of bandwidth (create a lot of
    traffic if you have a lot of people doing every port of every machine).
    However I would think that you would have to do this if you were being
    thorough cause if you pick a range (say 1 - 30000), you happen to be wrong
    and the attacker has lets say some super cool Trojan that is unknown and
    phones home with a connection out on port 80 to some preset ip) you might
    be in a lot of trouble (well the companies reputation anyway).  That brings
    me to my next question which is about medium / large networks.  Do people
    scan every single host with things like Nessus / Insert your favorite
    scanner / toll here, or do they just take a sample (say 20 out of 200).
    Say there was a network with 2000 hosts.  Even with 4 consultants with
    amazing laptops it still takes time.  I realize that this is probably up to
    the customer but maybe what I am curious about is what happens more
    frequently or what do you actually suggest when the customer asks for
    advice.  Especially the port scanning.  Is this left to run at night or
    something???

    Anyway I am sure I will have more questions soon ☺

    Public and private response welcome.

    Cheers,

    Leon

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert
    (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/