RE: Opinions on ClicktoSecure's Hailstorm Product

From: Gregory M Hoglund (hoglundat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 16:38:11 PDT

    Since it has been mentioned - I figured I should let you know we just
    released version 1.2
    An eval can be downloaded from:
    http://www.clicktosecure.com/products/evaluation_request.htm

    We added over 100 new test patterns to the basic set.

    Since I wrote a large part of Hailstorm(TM) I figured I could throw in
    some feedback. First, Hailstorm has a fairly complex GUI.  It's very
    advanced and everything is 'in your face' - this can be a small block to
    get over.  That being said, we are working diligently on a 2.0 release
    that has a completely new GUI - no resemblance to the current one.  The
    goal was to make Hailstorm easier to use.  Be forewarned that this is an
    advanced tool before you go and try to download it.

    On the upside - we have been very successful testing application-layer
    inputs from the network - custom ISAPI interfaces, firewall web-based
    admin interfaces, email servers, custom parsers for syslog and snmp
    events.  Once an application gets into a parsing problem on
    user-supplied input, a great deal starts to break.  That alone we have
    been finding denial-of-service attacks, buffer overflows, and
    metacharacter problems.  Keep in mind this is 'black-box' - testing
    inputs over the network with only an idea of the code paths that are
    exercised behind them.  On the lower side of the stack - we have also
    been very successful at network layer attacks.  We have killed a
    hardware VPN and caused it to erase it's firmware and reset it's
    password to '1234', we have caused firewalls to fail open, found 'killer
    packets' that cause harsh resource consumption on routers and
    network-address translation processes, and demonstrated serious problems
    in 'DDOS protection appliances' - not to mention a variety of faults in
    multiple vendor's IDS solutions.  The goal here is simple - help the
    end-user and the software vendor find problems _before_ the hackers do -
    add a little proactivity.

    All in all, this tool is about saving time when your doing analysis.
    Everything is templated.  It may not find complex security-architecture
    problems 8-) - but it will find those darned trivial bugs that keep
    showing up in Bugtraq every day...

    I hope that someday software is written secure.

    -Greg Hoglund
    CTO, Click To Secure, Inc.
    http://www.clicktosecure.com

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/